Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wk - 1 - National Gallery of Australia

This week we explored the NGA and became familiar with its' spaces. There were quite a few pieces throughout the rooms that caught my eye for one reason or another. One of which was 'KPS 6' by Vladimir Stenberg. I was captivated by the complex shadows the structure created and the possibilities different lighting could create. Another piece that caught my eye was 'An Animal' by Jim Dine, although the work itself did not appeal to my tastes, it did intrigue me. The blending of mediums was well done and made me look closer at the dark subject.

- Australian War Memorial

The first technological change I noted was the improvements made in cameras and thus the quality of the photographs. The second was the different conditions of early war to wars today. Today, although still dangerous, it is far safer and much easier to take pictures of war.

- National Archives and National Portrait Gallery

At the Archives I chose a beach scene for the fact that it is such an iconic Australian scene. Just about every Australian will have been to the beach at some time in their lives. The other image I picked was of children of different backgrounds, eating. To me this symbolises our multicultural heritage and our willigness to share, explore and accept each others heritage.

At the portrait Gallery I picked 'Naomi Watts' by Peter Brew-Beram (a LED exposed type C print), it is a very personal image, it makes me feel as if I'm being let into the models feelings and personal space. I also noted the piece on Layne Beachley by Petring Hicks (digital video). The slow rotation of the head and the way the eyes seem to look at you utterly captivated my attention.

- National Potographic Portrait Prize

The portrait I felt should not have been included in the top 50 was 'Still life with vanitas symbols'. Although I quite liked the still life side of the image I felt the portrait half wasn't a good image and to me it clashed with and proved an unwanted distraction from the far more interesting still life. I also didn't agree with the winning portrait. Instead I chose 'Rowan McNamara'. It was a stunning image that appealed both to my tastes and my photographic eye. The photograph gave of a fun and relaxed feel as well as a sense of inner peace and happiness. It was also a well lit, yet contrasty image.

- Bauhaus
...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers